WALLPAPER MURAL - THE PROCESS
WHEN KELLY AND JACOB UNGER DECIDED TO GUT REHAB JACOB'S CHILDHOOD HOME, THERE WERE PLENTY OF CHANGES TO BE MADE.
THEY DECIDED TO CREATE A MURAL IN THEIR DINING ROOM, AND I HAVE THE GOOD FORTUNE TO BE THE ARTIST THEY CHOSE.
IT WAS A DAUNTING TASK TO BEGIN, BUT I FOLLOWED THE AGE-OLD ADVICE: MEASURE MANY, MANY TIMES, CUT (OR PAINT) ONCE.
WITH MY TEAM OF HELPERS AND THE STAFF AT CHROMATICS, I WAS ABLE TO TAKE THIS AMAZING OPPORTUNITY THROUGH TO FRUITION, AND I'M SO PLEASED WITH THE RESULTS.
The measuring was the first biggest obstacle. It's one thing to create an image on a canvas, it's entirely another to accommodate for doors, windows, furniture, and outlets. I measured every space multiple times.
Once I had just a ballpark of my measurements, I worked closely with Jennifer at Chromatics to figure out the best way to create the mural the Ungers had in mind.
We decided on a [whatever the vinyl wallpaper is] which also allowed me to put finishing touches on the wallpaper once it was hung.
We also figured out the best size for me to paint so we could scan the paintings in and enlarge them to the size of the wallpaper panels without sacrificing detail or quality.
While we were working out the numbers, I also started sketching out what the paintings themselves would look like in the room. This allowed me to play with different ideas until I came to the final composition.
While measurements were being taken, I made a test-run of printing. I painted a panel and scaled up, as I would do with the mural. This gave me a chance to make any adjustments needed for the best translation of paintings to print.
Once the walls were measured for the final time and the layout for the painting was approved, it was time for me to start the process of painting the panels.
The panels I painted on were scaled-down versions of the dimensions of the walls. I translated the drawing I'd created to the panels, and worked from there.